text

Integrating Compassion with the Wisdom of God’s Word

askauntdara@gmail.com


The purpose of Aunt Dara’s Christian Advice Column is to glorify God by addressing human needs with compassion and the wisdom of God’s word.


Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Should Distance and Time be Issues in a Relationship?

Dear Aunt Dara,

I am a recent college graduate who has to choose between my dream job across the country or my current relationship.  Although we have only been together for 5 months, I am in love with my boyfriend, and we have talked about getting engaged within a year.  I have also worked extremely hard throughout college to get this position in and have exhausted my job options in my current location close to my boyfriend.  I am torn in this decision.  I do not want to sacrifice my career for a man, but I truly see a future with this guy.  He is a farmer so is unable to move to a city, forcing us to do long-distance for a year.  However, he keeps saying he is “willing to try” but “does not think it can work out long-distance.”  What should I do? This guy is amazing and I can’t stand the thought of being away from him, but if it is meant to be wouldn’t distance not be an issue?

Sincerely,
Love Struck Career Woman
 

Dear Love Struck, 

You asked, "If it is meant to be wouldn't distance not be an issue?"  I would tend to agree with you on that.  If it is meant to be, he would patiently wait a year and distance would not be an issue.  After all, Jacob waited 7 years for Rachel (Genesis 29:20-28).  Best wishes for you in your new job and continued blessings for your relationship.

God Bless,
Aunt Dara

No comments: